What we are about. Stocknectar hopes to assist any investor large or small to maximize gains, while also hoping to minimize losses in the event of a severe stock market crash, via the following resources.
- SNT Free Investing Tips Newsletter.
- The Stocknectar List of the Best Long-Short ETFs.
- SN-SOS High Security Autotrading.
- SNHR Stocknectar Hedge Fund Reviews.
- We also encourage successful investors to donate 0.1% annually to environmental charities.
Offsite articles by Stocknectar staff.
- 2013.04. Published at Benzinga.com: Review of J. Cohen’s Put-Selling Vs. Stock-Buying.
- 2013.03. An “Editor’s Pick” at SeekingAlpha.com: Trend-Trading Beats Leveraged ETFs.
- 2013.02. An “Editor’s Pick” at SeekingAlpha.com: The Best of Long-Short Equity Investing.
Our investment philosophy.
- Consider not-spending. The true measure of wealth is not how much you earn, but how little is your proportion of spending to earnings. You can be wealthy right now–if you can simply find people whose income is half as much as yours and live as they do. Children should learn to place half their allowances in piggy banks and grownups should do similarly. If systematically investing 1/2 your salary is not feasible, try for 1/5 or perhaps 1/10. Then eventually your investment income can become as large as your salary. If your grandparents had done this, then instead of living hand-to-mouth, you and your descendants might devote their energies to helping out their grandchildren and favorite charities.
- Never invest more than 1/5 of portfolio with a single mutual fund or with a single brokerage, company, municipality, sector or small country. The Enron scandal was not the first nor will it be the last company failure to devastate many families. Similarly, Singapore or Disney World might be good places to invest 1/5 of your savings but no more. In general, we would suggest to try to limit most investments to 1/10 or ideally 1/20 of total savings.
- Consider long-short ETFs. The do-it-yourself SN-LSE system of long-short ETFs only requires as little as $1,000 and is able consistently to lose less than the S&P during major downturns. Click here for The Stocknectar List of the Best Long-Short ETFs.
- Consider US Treasury TIPS. (Treasury Inflation-Protected Securities.) In a severe recession, so-called FDIC insurance can replace your cash with plummeting bank stocks! Read this article: The Confiscation Scheme Planned for US & UK Depositors. TIPS are directly backed by “the full faith and credit of the US government.” In addition, TIPS usually (although not always) go up in value whenever the US dollar or the stock market goes down. For the best advantage, TIPS should be bought individually. If unable to do so, then divide your cash between several of the short-term TIPS ETFs: STPZ, STIP, TDTT, VTIP. These generally gain or lose only a few percent per year–and gain much more often than lose. Any help that you may need is available by telephoning any reputable online broker. VTIP trades for free at Investor.Vanguard.com. STPZ trades for free at TDAmeritrade.com. STIP trades for free at Fidelity.com. SCHO is not inflation-protected but holds short-term US Treasuries and trades for free at Schwab.com. ACH electronic cash transfers to or from any bank account are free. Therefore, instead of maintaining cash in unsafe bank accounts or CD’s, simply open accounts at these online brokers. You can hold your savings mainly in TIPS without any significant fees or inconvenience.
- Consider ¢entsible home ownership. The right home can make you, the wrong home can break you. The right home is easily affordable on a 15-year mortgage, close to work, has low tax and insurance rates, and includes a large two-door camper or a well-separated rental unit. If you or a relative fall on hard times, or if an elderly relative needs to live nearby, or if a young relative needs independence, or if you just need storage space–it is important to accommodate this while reducing expenses and not cramping your lifestyle. That done, home ownership is better than gold because you cannot live in a bar of gold.
- Consider 1/1,000 portfolio to Greenpeace each year. The human race is currently non-sustainable. Things could be different if only everyone paid 0.1% of their investments annually to help preserve the free air, water and fish that support us.
To receive current information on all of the above topics, click here for our newsletter: SNT Free Trend Trading Signals & Investing Tips.